Thursday, August 23, 2007

Confessions of a Street Addict - Book Review




Last night I finished Jim Cramer's book "Confessions of a Street Addict." I enjoyed this book for the entertainment factor. "Confessions of a Street Addict" is more of a biography of Jim Cramer starting with his younger days when he was more interested in reading the stock quotes in the paper while other kids his age were reading the comics or sports. The book goes up through Jim Cramer's retirement from his hedge fund. He is still involved with his startup dot com TheStreet.com.




I know alot of people don't like Jim Cramer. However, if you watch is show, alot of people do. I'm not really leaning one way or the other. I think he is an interesting and entertaining personality. His show, Mad Money on CNBC is entertaining, but I would never take stock advice from Cramer.




I didn't really know what the book would be about but I usually read books looking for some investing tips. I didn't find any from this book. Cramer's hedge fund made money in a way that the average investor would not be able to do. I don't have access to all the companies CEO's. I can't call up the analysts and talk to them on the phone to get a feel for where a company is going. I don't have a man down on the trading floor that can give me an idea of investor sentiment. However, even though I don't get much investing advice from this book, I was interested in reading about how Cramer got started. I found it interesting reading about his struggles for control at TheStreet.com.




If you are looking for a book to gain some advice on investing, I would suggest looking elsewhere. If you are looking for an entertaining book about Wall Street, gaining some insight into the hedge fund business, and a biography of one of the wackiest personalities on Wall Street, then I think this is a book you would enjoy. Let me know what you think.

No comments: