Monday, October 1, 2007

Goal 3: Get out of Debt!


One of my main goals along with retirement is getting completely out of debt. Currently I have over $19,000 in debt when you add up my car, credit cards, bike, and engagement ring. I am also taking my girlfriend to a bed and breakfast at the end of this month where I plan on proposing to her. The cost of the B & B will be $400 on my credit card. I have worked up a debt snowball plan to pay off this debt hopefully as quick as possible. By my calculations, I hope to have this debt reduced to $17,592 by the end of the year. This will be a reduction of over $2,000. Therefore, I am setting my goal of having debt of less then $17,500 by the end of this year. In January I will recalculate some numbers, see if I have reached this goal, and set a new goal for 2008. I have a plan of action that I am putting into place and hopefully we will find that this plan works. I am going to be paying off the minimum on all of my debts except for one of my credit cards which I will had what I can afford to pay off to the minimum. My main focus must be to pay off this debt without incurring any new debt. This can be difficult with Christmas coming up and hopefully a wedding to start preparing for!

No comments: