Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I'm Back in the Market

Well, before this year started I decided I was not going to trade in my individual stock account this year. I held two positions and was going to continue holding them through the year. Then one of the positions had news that it was being bought out. I bought Countrywide when it was at it's low point and a month later there was news that Bank of America was going to buy Countrywide. I exited this position with a nice 17% gain in about a month's worth of time.

At that point I was in a debate with myself. It didn't seem like a good time to purchase another company with the market going down every day. I thought about withdrawing the money and using it to pay down some credit card debt. My other idea was to leave it in because I knew one day I would be antsy to trade again. That day has come.

I am reading the book "Trend Following" by Michael Covel. This is getting me all pumped up about the markets again like any book I read. So with the markets seeming to be crashing I jumped back in. This time I bought an exchange traded fund that shorts the S&P 500. Thus, if markets continue to go down, I will make money. I should have waited until finishing the book but when I get an idea in my head, I jump on it. We'll see how it plays out.

No comments: