Thursday, January 10, 2008

World's Cheapest Car! Would You Buy?


Today I read a newspaper article about Tata Motors in India releasing the worlds cheapest car. You can find the article here. The India car maker has released their car called the Tata Nano. It is a tiny smart car that executives say can seat 5. The car goes a max of about 60 mph while getting 50 miles to the gallon in gas mileage. Currently the car is only going to be offered in India while company executives hope to offer it in Asia, Latin America and Africa within two years. It doesn't appear that there are plans to release this car in the United States anytime soon.


What if this car was released in the United States? Would you buy it? It certainly is a lot cheaper then a fifteen to twenty thousand new car you would get here. It gets great gas mileage. It won't get you up to 70 mph on the interstate though. I think I would definitely consider buying one of these cars. I don't have to get on the highway to go to work. This car would definitely save me a lot of money in the long run with the low price and great gas mileage. My only concern is how long can such a cheap car last? Will it need to be replaced every couple years or can this car last as long as today's more expensive cars? In looking for ways to be able to save more money, I think I would definitely consider this purchase. However, I'm not sure I would actually do it. The car isn't that attractive and I sometimes find myself wanting to get a status symbol car like a Mercedes. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.


How about you? Would you buy one of these new cars? Or would you rather continue to drive a "normal" car where people won't look at you funny?

No comments: