We finally reached an agreement with the sellers of the house last night for good! After our inspection we realized there were some problems with the drainage in the backyard causing water to pool up on a side of the yard when it rains alot. In the midwest we get alot of water through the winter and spring so this was a concern of ours. We didn't want a pool of water in our backyard for half the year. We want to be able to play in our backyard with our dog. We don't want concerns that the pooling of water could cause foundation problems in the future. Thus, we were set on making sure this issue could be fixed and that the sellers were the ones to have to pay for the solution.
So, we recieved 4 estimates on what it would take to fix the problem. Most all of them were using a drainage system that would bring the water around the side of the house and out the front yard into the street. The estimates ranged from $1,650 to $6,665. The $1,650 came from someone the sellers wanted to get to do the work. We did not like this solution. We did not know if they were just friends that would do a quick fix so the seller could pay as little as possible. They weren't an actual company from what we could tell.
Thus, we decided to take the $1,650 that the sellers were willing to pay in an eschrow account. We will use our company which gave us a bid of $2,600 and a one year warranty that the solution would work. We will pay the difference ourselves.
So with that taken care of we have an agreement and a house will be ours in mid April! It is a scary ordeal. We will be a homeowner and all the costs that come along with home ownership will be our responsibility. The house is wonderful and I can't wait to get the keys and be able to move in! The next concern on our list is getting our current residence rented out so our landlord will release us from the lease. Hopefully we can get that taken care of within the next month!