Sunday, March 9, 2008

Run for the Money


I read a small article in the January 2004 issue of Runner's World titled "Run for the Money" the other day. The article was about a study from Ball State University where they studied 336 small business owners who either ran or lifted weights regularly to see if there was a correlation between exercise and business success.

The study found that running had a positive effect on sales volume, external goals such as wealth and family security, and internal goals such as recognition, challenge, accomplishment and independence. Weight training was positively linked to external and internal goals but not sales.

I'm not sure if this study necessarily shows that by running you become better and more successful in business. I think that runners are very goal oriented people and goal oriented people tend to be the most successful. Either way I think this is a positive article for exercise. I would recommend that everyone start exercising in some way. My chosen way is through running. A lot. I've been a runner since I was 12 years old and although I'm not sure I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't run, I don't think it hurts. Not that I'm super successful but I feel I'm getting along pretty good for myself in my life.

1 comment:

asgreen said...

That's so interesting. I run also, though I'm more of a recent runner but I notice it makes a big difference in how I feel. Now I'm wondering if it makes a big difference on how I save as well?