Sunday, August 26, 2007

What to do on Weekends!

For me, weekends are the toughest times to try and not spend money. Weekends are two whole days off work and they can get fairly long and boring if you don't do anything. Unfortunately for me, it seems like doing something over the weekend is going to cost me money.

For example, lets take a look at my spending this weekend. On Friday night I hit up the Kansas City Royals game with one of my friends. Here I spent $14 on my ticket and about another $10 on parking and food. Luckily it was buck night so it only cost me about $5 for some hot dogs and sodas. Next comes Saturday. Saturday I did pretty good as we didn't do much. In the afternoon we watched a movie recieved from Netflix. This subscription costs $10 a month but I feel it is well spent because it usually keeps us in on a Friday or Saturday night every week and gives us entertainment. Saturday night we went out to eat but my girlfriend paid because it was her turn. Today, I we are going to the grocery store which we do every weekend. This is unavoidable because we need food. I would also like to try to go to Target because I have a couple things I want to buy. This will cost me probably around a hundred dollars for the filing cabinet and paper shredder I want to get. I have a gift certificate to Nebraska Furniture Mart but we are going to take that to pay for our furniture we bought a couple months ago that was financed with 18 months no interest.

So you can see my problem. On weekends it is hard to find things to do that don't include shopping and spending money. Next weekend I am going back to my college town for an alumni event but the weekend after I think I will try to see if I can get by without spending too much money. I think some good tips for us to do on weekends to keep from spending money are to do chores on the weekends. I mowed the yard Thursday night, but it would be better to wait until the weekend to do this. Cleaning the house will also keep us distracted. Doing our grocery shopping on Friday night will keep us busy that night so that we aren't wanting to go spend money. We need to try to focus on saving money.

No comments: